Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Rubaiyats


I admit that I find the Rubaiyat beautiful poetry, though I know it partakes of stereotypes and repetitions about the Middle East, likely magnified by translators. The idea of a paradise of ease, sensuality, wine, and carelessness is just so alluring... The orientalist images from publications of the Rubiayat that we examined in class are especially troubling -- like the one I have included here by Arthur Szyk from the 1946 Heritage Press edition.

My poor efforts to write in the style of the Rubiayat are below. I apologize in advance!

Fitzgerald:

Oh, come with old Khayyam, and leave the Wise
To talk; one thing is certain, that Life flies;
One thing is certain, and the Rest is Lies;
The Flowr that once has blown for ever dies.

Webb:

Oh, come with Allen Webb, and leave the rest
To study, read and write, prepare the test
One thing is certain, they may pass
But do they really, truly enjoy the class?


A bolt of thunder, and dark skies
Sudden drops of rain around me fly.
I walk, I run, -- ahead the door is neigh
Yet I am soaking, sloshing wet, Oh my!

4 comments:

Sara said...

Yes, I enjoy this class. Sometimes I am freaked out by all the homework, but it is still fun.

Dray's Blog said...

Class is awsome but yes the homework can make you step back and stare. I like the topic of the rain, I also did one on the rain. I also take it you got stuck outside in the rain last night also.lol.

lindasthoughts said...

Yes I do enjoy the class, but sometimes the homework can be a little overwhelming.

John Novak said...

I like that last poem. I'm going to try and remember it, so that when it rains I can quote it and sound learned.